Spacious Standard Double Room
Reservations

Attractions at

Cumberland Island Inn & Suites at Kings Bay

 

If you're looking for a hotel near Cumberland Queen or a hotel near Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, make us your first choice at Cumberland Island Inn. There are so many great attractions near us that you're sure to find plenty to do. Why not book a room with us now?

 

Cumberland Queen

During the season, the Cumberland Queen ferry makes two daily trips to Cumberland Island National Seashore, the stateís largest and most southerly barrier island. Today, a number of historic buildings, including the Plum Orchard mansion, are open for tours. Shell collecting and swimming are popular activities on the island.Camping is permitted, but reservations must be made in advance.

 

Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base

This base has approximately 10,0000 employees, making it the largest employer in the county. Its mission is to provide support to the Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile System, as well as to maintain and operate facilities for administration and personnel support for operations on the submarine force. The base, established on july 1, 1978, encompasses 16,0000 acres, some of which once served as the US Army Ocean Terminal.

 

St. Marys Historic District

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this 20-block area of town has buildings that date to 1787. There are five historic churches within the district, the oldest of which dates to 1808.

 

Okenfenokee National Wildlife Refuge

The original portion of this homestead was build in the 1920s. Interpretive tours take visitors around the grounds, giving insight into what was like in the place and time.

 

Braille Trail

This special attraction can be found throughtout the Historic District of St. Marys. The 38 historic sites within the district are marked with signs that have raised latters and Braille for the vision-impaired. The service has been extended to nearby Cumberland Island where there is a hands-on map area.

 

McIntosh Sugar Mill Tabby Ruins

These ruins are perhaps the largest and best preserved examples of the tabby structure. Tabby, a building material made of oyster shells, sand and water is unique to this area. The mill was built circa 1825. Its rooms,which were devoted to the grinding, boiling and processing of cane for sugar products, are still intact. Itís located across from the main gate of Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base. Picnic areas are also located on the grounds.

 

Oak Grove Cemetary

Established in 1780, this cementry is the oldest in St. Marys and one of the oldest in the South. It is the resting place of French planters who fled from Santo Domingo to escape massacre during a slave uprising and of Acadians banished with Evangeline. A number of early settlers and soldiers are also buried here. The oldest grave is marked 1801. It is surrounded by a low stone wall with arched gateways and lichen covered Oaks. Many of the lots are surrounded by brick walls and iron fences. It is located at the corner of St. Marys & Barlette Streets, in historic St. Marys.

 

Orange Hall House Museum

A popular stop for visitors, this welcome center is housed in a Greek Revival antebellum mansion built circa 1830. The center also includes a gift shop and museum that displays memorabilia. Itís located at 303 Osborne Street, in St. Maryís.

 

Georgia Sea Turtle Center

The center is open to the General Public and offers an interactive exhibit Gallery and Rehabilitation Pavilion with a number of viewable Sea Turtle Patients. The Georgia Sea Turtle Center is a hospital for ill and injured Sea Turtles. They are the only hospital of its kind in the State of Georgia.