Enticing Packages to Enjoy Great Savings & Georgia’s Natural Wonder1 Night – $139+tax 2 Nights – $199+tax Includes:
Cumberland Island is 36,415 acres of which 16,850 are marsh, mud flats, and tidal creeks. The island is 17.5 miles long and 3 miles wide.
Cumberland Island is the home to sea turtles, abundant shore birds, dune fields, maritime forest, salt marshes, historic structures, wild horses, boar, deer, bobcat, and armadillos.
1765 - Was the earliest record of Dungeness
1881 - Cumberland Island was purchased by Thomas carnegie (younger brother to Andrew Carnegie, steel magnate).
1886 - Thomas Carnegie dies leaving all land and structures to his wife Lucy Carnegie. The main portion of Dungeness was completed just year prior to his death.
1898 - Plum Orchad mansion is constructed for Lucy Carnegie’s son George Launder Carnegie and his wife.
1901 - Greyfield House (now known as Greyfield Inn) was constructed for Lucy’s daughter Margaret “Retta” Carnegie and husband Oliver Garrison Ricketson.
1959 - Dungeness burns down due to larceny, no one was charged.
1970 - Electricity is brought to Cumberland Island from the mainland in anticipation of future development
1972 - National Park Service is established.